After staying at Tabacon Thermal Resort this past month; I have a whole new appreciation for 5 star luxury! If you want to feel like you are in the middle of a hot spring deep in the rainforest all the while being pampered and served craft cocktails in the shadow of an active volcano; this is the spot for you!
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa is located in La Fortuna de San Carlos, in the middle of the rainforest. This unique 103-room Costa Rican property offers luxurious accommodations, an award-winning spa and friendly service in a magnificent tropical environment near the base of Arenal Volcano.
The resort is situated in a lush setting with twelve natural hot spring pools and lagoons, thermal pools, exotic gardens and trails with daily shuttle access from the resort rooms. All pools are directly heated from Arenal Volcano and all hot water onsite (even in the guest rooms) is also heated by the volcano. An additional heated pool is also available to resort guests only.
Dining is open-air and includes an option for a signature gala dinner in a private rainforest bungalow with private chef and server. Decor throughout the resort showcases art and furniture designed and crafted by Central American artisans. 2 restaurants are onsite as well as various bars including a infusions cocktail bar
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa is located 2.5 hrs. from the Daniel Oduber International Airport (LIR) in Liberia, Guanacaste and 3.5 hrs. from the Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO) in San Jose. The resort can arrange private transfer from either airport.
- 2 Onsite Dining Options
- Optional Private Dining feat. Personal Rainforest Bungalow & Personal Chef
- 3 Bars/Lounges w/ swim up bar AND infusions mixology bar
- 24 Hour Room Service
- Daily & Nightly Access to 12 onsite thermal pools heated by Arenal Volcano
- Shangri-La Gardens (adults only area within the thermal springs)
- 1 Resort Swimming Pool
- Onsite Spa w/ 10 Treatment Rooms
- Onsite Fitness Center
- Onsite Tour Desk
- Plant a Tree Initiative
Notes on Inclusions (this is not an all inclusive resort):
- In addition to the resort’s two pools, guests enjoy unlimited access to Tabacon Hot Springs during their stay
- Resort guests are allowed to visited the hot springs 1 hour early and stay 1 hour later than daily guests
- Resort guests are allowed access to the hot springs Shangri-La Gardens, an adults only haven within the hot springs only available to resort guests
- Daily breakfast at Los Tucanes
- Thermal robes and slippers throughout stay
- Plant a tree initiative
- Shuttle service to hot springs
Notes on Signature Gala Dinner:
One of Tabacon’s signature services is a candlelight dinner, sure to be a memorable experience for couples sharing a romantic vacation. Perfect for honeymoons or anniversaries, this extremely personalized service is a unique opportunity to experience dinner in a glorious natural setting. The new private bungalows located in the botanical gardens, nestled on the edge of the rainforest, with streams of hot springs running on either side and open on three sides to take in the views of the verdant gardens and forest, provide a unique ambience. Your dinner will be served at a magnificently set table for two with private chef and waiter, among lighted torches, making an unforgettable romantic moment
Notes on the Plant a Tree Initiative:
Tabacon has developed various programs and sustainable tourism practices to take care of the environment; one of their most popular is the Plant a Tree Initiative.
All guests staying at the resort are invited to plant one almond tree per guest on the property during their stay with supervision of the garden staff. The saplings are tagged and registered to guests so that they can check on their progress when they return for their next vacation. The entire activity takes about 20-30 minutes and is oh so rewarding!
Through this initiative, Tabacon reported that they have planted over 3,000 trees so far! Famous celebrities (check their website for more info) have since stayed at the property so that they can plant trees in Costa Rica’s secondary rainforest and leave their mark on the regeneration of these beautiful forests! Of course we had to plant our trees as well and plan to visit them in a few years to see their growth
Sample Activities in the Area:
- Hanging Bridges – allows visitors to experience the rainforest from three perspectives; plus magnificent views of the Arenal Volcano complement this memorable hike through the heart of the rainforest
- Canyoning Tour – if you enjoy waterfalls and a bit of adventure, the Canyoning Tour is perfect for you. You will experience the thrill of rappelling down a high waterfall, using professional equipment and aided by an experienced guide.
- Hike to Arenal Volcano – observe the exotic inhabitants of Arenal National Park, see paths of lava, cross a stream and, if conditions permit, you may catch a glimpse of showering bright volcanic rocks.
- Safari Float – White Water Rafting Class II expedition is perfect for families with children ages 6 to 13
- Rafting – This is the tour for those who like action and adrenaline sports. Get to know the area’s wildest and most exuberant rivers
- Cano Negro Boat Tour – This visit to the Cano Negro Refuge is designed for true wildlife lovers. Iguanas, sloths, 40 bird species, caimans, turtles, alligators, bats and monkeys greet you in their natural habitat
- Don Juan’s Coffee & Chocolate Plantation – visit a working chocolate plantation to discover the process from bean to coffee/chocolate. Samples included throughout
Site Visit Photos: